Kirin 980 Processor is a 64-bit octa-core ARM SoC of mid-range performance. It is designed by Hi-Silicon and introduced in late 2018. Based on 7 nm TSMC’s process, this processor contains 8 cores consisting of 2 Cortex-A76 cores operating at a clocked speed of 2.6 GHz, 2 Cortex-A76 cores operating at a clocked speed of 1.92 GHz and 4 Cortex-A55 cores operating at a clocked speed of 1.8 GHz. Kirin 980 supports up to 8 GB of quad-channel 16-bit LPDDR4X RAM. It provides a Mali-G76 MP10 GPU. The integrated LTE modem of Kirin 980 supports cat 18 uplink and cat 21 downlink.
Overview of Kirin 980 Processor:
|Codename||Cortex-A76 / Cortex-A55|
|Clock Rate||2.6 GHz|
|Number of Cores||8|
|Manufacturing Technology||7 nm|
|Features||ARM Mali-G52 MP10 GPU , 2 x Cortex-A76 (2.6 GHz) + 2 x Cortex-A76 (1.92 GHz) + 4 x Cortex-A55 (1.8GHz), LPDDR4X RAM, Bluetooth 5, Cat-21/18 (1400Mbps Download speed and 200 Mbps upload speed)|
|GPU||ARM Mali-G52 MP10|
Features of Kirin 980 Processor:
- Kirin 980 integrates 6.9 billion transistors in an area less than 1 square cm. It empower better performance by fold increase in density up to 1.6.
- Kirin 980 is the first chipset based on Cortex-A76 in the world. It enhanced single core performance by up to 75%. The Kirin 980 also includes Mali-G76 MP10 GPU which is the world’s first commercial use, to enhance the performance up to 46%. The LPDDR4X RAM is used that operates at a speed up to 2133 MHz.
- The 4th generation ISP reduce multi-pass noise to capture images with important quality details. Also, it has a dedicated video pipeline. This feature improves video clarity and reduces shooting delays by up to 33%.
- Based on 7nm process technology, The Kirin 980 improves performance by 20%, power efficiency by 40% and the overall energy efficiency increased by 58%. The Mali-G76 MP10 GPU has also increased its energy efficiency by 178%.
- The Kirin 980 has 2 super cores, 2 large cores and 4 small efficiency cores which is called as 3 energy efficiency architecture. It also uses the Flex-Scheduling intelligence mechanism. This mechanism allows the CPU to adapt in heavy, medium and light-load scenarios by reducing power consumption. It gives users a longer battery life including with an overall higher performance experience.
- BY the quick adaptation to AI, Kirin 980 can recognise a face or an object, detect an object, image segmentation and intelligent translation. With the power of dual-core NPU, Kirin 980 has improved recognition speed up to 120% by achieving 4500 images per minute.
- The powerful object detection capabilities with accuracy to identify a variety of objects, the Kirin 980 sets the foundation for future AI capabilities by providing complete framework support and App developers.
- The Kirin 980 support LTE Cat 21 which is the fastest downlink up to 1.4 GB/s. It also offers a stable connection in congested areas.
- The GPS is supported by industry-leading L1 + L5 dual frequency ultra-precise positioning to give more accurate target location while using map navigation.
Kirin 810 Processor – Gaming Experience and Features
Kirin 810 supports up to 8 GB of quad-channel 16-bit LPDDR4X RAM. It provides a Mali-G52 MP6 GPU. The integrated LTE modem of Kirin 810 supports cat 12 uplink and cat 13 downlinks.
Gaming Experience of Kirin 980 Processor:
Kirin 980 powered by the 8-core Mali-G76 MP10 GPU that achieves a new level of performance by reducing energy consumption. It also boasts smooth gaming with Kirin Gaming+.
Kirin 980 integrates 6.9 billion transistors in an area less than 1 square cm. It empower better performance by fold increase in density up to 1.6. Kirin 980 is the first chipset based on Cortex-A76 in the world. It enhanced single-core performance by up to 75%. The Kirin 980 also includes Mali-G76 MP10 GPU which is the world’s first commercial use, to enhance the performance up to 46%. The LPDDR4X RAM is used that operates at a speed up to 2133 MHz.
First-ever Cat 21 support in Kirin 980 which is the fastest downlink up to 1.4 GB/s that offers a stable connection in congested areas. Using Hi-1103, it enhanced its peak download speed up to 1.7 GB/s and 160 MHz bandwidth that is 1.7 times of industry level.
Devices that use Kirin 980 processor:
This chipset is used in HUAWEI handsets like HUAWEI Mate 20, HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro and HUAWEI Mate 20 Lite.
You will be interested in: